I love cookbooks. I also love trying new recipes. When I bought this cookbook many years ago and came across this easy Christmas candy, I knew I just had to try it. It has fast become a favorite and I make it every year now. When the holidays come around my co-workers start asking for this delicious treat. And the great part, It is so easy. And boy do I love easy.
Dates, cherries and gingersnaps, all Christmas favorites in one great treat to tempt the palate. Yum! I love just about anything that has cherries in it. But add the dates and gingersnaps and it just screams Christmas. You will have tropical sugar plums dancing in your head.
- 1/2 cup vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1/4 cup crushed gingersnaps
- flaked coconut
- Combine vanilla chips and corn syrup in a large skillet. Cook and stir over low heat until melted and smooth
- Stir in the dates, cherries, vanilla and rum extract until well blended. Add the crushed gingersnaps stirring until well blended. The mixture will be stiff.
- Form mixture into 3/4-inch balls and roll in coconut. Place in small petit four cups. You can serve them immediately but in my opinion, they taste better the next day. All those flavors have had a chance to blend. Store in an airtight container. Trust me, they won’t last long.
When I first started making these, I crushed the gingersnaps with a rolling pin. Well, let me tell you that I have gotten smarter in my old age. I now crush those babies in my handy dandy food processor that sits on my counter. So much easier. Too bad I never thought of that in the beginning. I also double this recipe. If I don’t I am making more in a couple of days. I might as well just get it over with in one day.
I know this post is short but why beat around the bush. If you are like me you just want to get to the good stuff. I hope you like this easy Christmas candy and I am sure that it will become a favorite that you will make year after year.
Please leave me a comment below as always I love hearing from you.
Have a wonderful and tasty day!